About RIA Checkpoint
RIA Checkpoint offers a suite of tools for research in taxation, estate planning, as well as pensions and benefits. It allows electronic access to such standard works in these fields as the Federal Tax Coordinator and US Tax Reporter. In addition, several important treatises can be viewed through this service, such as Bittker and Lokken's Federal Taxation of Income, Estates, and Gifts, and Westfall and Mair's Estate Planning Law and Taxation.
On Campus Accesss
Up to 35 concurrent users at the Law School can access Checkpoint through the link below. No password or ID is necessary.
However, to take advantage of personalized features of the product, please see the box below regarding creating personal accounts.
Creating Personal Accounts
To take advantage of the personalized features of this product, it is necessary that members of the Law School community create a personal account. To register for a Checkpoint username and password, you must complete the following steps on a computer on the Law School premises. (Personal laptops might work, but a desktop computer in the law school would be best.)
- Go to http://ria.thomson.com/cploginids. A registration page appears. Fill it out. If registration page does not go away, you are using IE version 8*.
- After you “register”, you will receive an e-mail with your Checkpoint username and temporary password (the usernames are fairly long and can’t be changed.) The e-mail contains a link to Checkpoint. (This normally takes less than 10 minutes.)
- Enter your User Name provided above. User Names and passwords are not case sensitive.
- Click the Login button. You will go through New User Setup screens, including a prompt to change your password. New passwords must be 7-20 characters and at least one letter and one number.
*If you are using Internet Explorer 8, verify that you are in “compatibility view” in order to accept the license agreement. To switch, clicking on the Tools menu, and choosing Compatibility View.
NOTE: Passwords are "wiped" at the end of every semester, after which it will be necessary to create a new one. A limited number of non-expiring passwords are available for faculty, and may be obtained by contacting a Reference Librarian.
Using Your Personalized Account on Campus
If you would like to use the personalized features of this product on campus:
1. Go to http://www.checkpoint.riag.com. You'll be logged in under the general account.
2. Click "Sign Out" at top right.
3. On the next screen, click "Change Login" below the orange "Login" button. And sign in!